DIY Baby Mobile (aka A Lesson in Humility)


Little Owl has been very interested in motion these past few weeks so Brian suggested I try making her a mobile. I was very excited by the prospect. I had an old calender that I wanted to use because it had fun, brightly contrasted images. Here is what I came up with:

To start I cut out five images from the calender.


I had some old cards that I used as card-stalk to glue the images onto. 


Then, I cut the images out. 


Next, I taped together three cards to make a triangle shaped structure. 


Then, I punched a hole in each image and strung through a piece of string with a bead attached at the end. I taped this down for extra security. I taped the other end of the string (also with a bead attached) to the triangle card stalk. I did this with all five cut out images. I strung it from the ceiling above our bed. 

 

Voila! A baby mobile. Baby's eye view:


Needless to say, I was very proud of my creativity, ingenuity, and mad awesome skills. And look, she likes it...


Yeah, or not...

Well, at least one of us does. ;) *pfffft*.


(Don't forget to check out our OCTOBER GIVEAWAY!)







12 comments:

  1. I love it! I'm planning to make a mobile for our baby too! I got some fun upcycled pop can butterflies and was going to try to figure out how to string them from some drift wood we found on a recent camping trip :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! That sounds very cool. Looking forward to seeing it.

      Delete
  2. Well, it was good for a blog post at least! LOL I love those vintage posters! Thanks for linking up at our Pinterest Link It! Linky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely mobile! Don't worry, babies are like that ...one minute they are into something, the next, not so much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, April! She has started to like it a little more... ;)

      Delete
  4. haha you did great! :) babies are just finicky she will probably turn back towards it as soon as you look away! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very clever to use calendar art! Mommy with a camera is pretty stiff competition for anything else! :-) Thanks for linking on Busy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats a lovely idea, maybe when she is a bit older she'll grow into it. I made a mobile for my son when he was tiny and he started looking at it much later than I'd expected.
    You could try making a gobbi mobile (montessori) they are much simpler shapes so might be easier for little eyes to focus on. I've seen a couple of DIY variations. I made one using felt balls and I have seen one using painted wooden beads.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me oh so happy! Feel free to comment away. I'd love to hear what's on your mind