Will the Real Vitamin C Please Stand Up? (Superfood Series)


(Go here for Part 1 of 'Superfood Series')

It's that wonderful time of year again. The sniffles, sneezes, coughs and runny noses abound.

What's a mother to do? Rather than encourage you to reach for that synthetic absorbic acid in pill or powder form, I want to suggest an alternative. I use and love Acerola Powder. It is my natural source of Vitamin C.

Vitamin C, as I am sure you all know, cannot be produced or stored by our bodies. Yet, it is of vital importance to our heatlh (as too many sailors had to learn the hard way!). This means that in order to have sufficent amouts of Vitamin C, we must consume it. 

To help my body fight of colds this time of year I take Acerola Powder. One teaspoon gives me approximately 150 mg's of Vitamin C. 

But What is Acerola Powder?


Alternatively known the Barbados or West Indian cherry, Acerola berries are thought to have originated in Yucatan. In addition to large amounts of Vitamin C, Acerola contains Vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, carotenoids and bioflavonoids. It is chock full of nutrients. It helps the body form collagen, heal wounds, strengthen teeth and bones, fights cancer, ward off the flu and fight colds. No wonder it's considered a "Super Fruit".



Acerola powder is simply the Acerola berry in a dried, powdered form. Because it is a fruit, and not a synthetic knock-off, the vitamin C in the Acerola berry is better absorbed by our bodies. 

So, when I start to feel like I might be fighting off a cold or flu I will either mix a couple teaspoons with water and drink it, or I will make myself this smoothie:

Fall-Fighter Smoothie 

1 ripe avocado  
1 frozen banana 
1-2 tsp Acerola powder (Get it here.)  
1/2 cup apple sauce  
1 cup water  
1/4-1 tsp Spirulina  (Get it here.)
 Place all ingredients in a blender. Puree until smooth. Enjoy!



Here's to staying healthy this Fall season! Wishing you all the best! <3

(Curious what brand I buy for Acerola Powder? See it here.)


Stay healthy!

What are your tips for helping fight of colds this season? Please share them in the comments below! I would love to know.


18 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great weekend and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm here from the hop and now following you on FB. Thanks for the smoothie share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good post - I can't wait to try your recipe. I think it's so sad when people put synthetic vitamins in thier bodies, which always do more harm than good. My family takes Shaklee's all natural vitamin C and love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rhoda! Let me know what you think when you try it. I love feedback. Agree with you 100% about synthetic vitamins.

      Delete
  4. Where would you find vitamin c powder without extra ingredients? The ones I've seen either are ascorbic acid or they have maltodextrin in them.
    Finding pure vitamin C has been next to impossible.
    Thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... Good question. As far as I understand finding a NATURAL pure vitamin C supplement is impossible--nature doesn't create things that way. That is why I like using things like Acerola Powder. It's not pure Vitamin C, but that's better anyways for your body--you get more good stuff, and your body uses the other stuff to help you make the most of the Vitamin C that is there. Whole foods all the way, baby. Thanks for stopping by! Have a great week!

      Delete
  5. Very informative! And that smoothie recipe sounds really good. Thanks for linking to Snacktime Saturday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How do you usually eat the acerola powder if not in the smoothie? Just mix in food or water? I'm thinking about my 15 month old son. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Sorry I didn't respond to you sooner. Typically I just mix it with a bit of water and drink it. For my 17 month old sometimes I just get a spoon wet at the tip and dip it into the jar and hand her the spoon. She loves licking off the tart goodness. Hope that helps! <3

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the brilliant article and recipe :) This is a great way to use acerola in your diet to boost vitamin C intake!
    I was wondering if you would like to link this (or any suitable past or future posts) up to a new blog link-up I'm hosting that's all about the celebration of drinking real food! It covers smoothies, juices, teas and fermented beverages and I would love if you would be a part of it as often as you would like to participate :)
    http://omnomally.com/2013/11/17/smoothie-otw-link-up-week-2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do! Thanks for letting me know about it. Love the idea.

      Have a great week, Ally!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for linking up Jacquelyn, love your blog and recipes :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi... Great post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and knowledge about Acerola Cherry Powder here. Really it gives full of nutrients to our body. Keep posting this type of good work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is the best way to get the required Vitamins Benefit from these natural sources.Acerola is a fruit and not a synthetic knock-off, the vitamin C in the Acerola berry is better absorbed by our bodies.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me oh so happy! Feel free to comment away. I'd love to hear what's on your mind