Homemade Holidays: Cork Board with"Upsycled" Pushpins


I am going to be sharing with you over the next few weeks a few ideas for homemade gifts this Christmas. I don't have a ton of extra time on my hands... so don't worry... the list won't be huge.

To start I want to show you how to make a Cork Board with Upsycled Pushpins. I was very happy with how this project turned out. I put it together over a several day period (not because it's difficult... but because those were the days Little Owl decided to take only short naps...). 

You Will Need:

A rectangular piece of cardboard
Grocery sized paper bag
Corks (I went around and collected mine from restaurants... it's amazing what you can get when you ask...)
Glue gun
Glue sticks
Metal pushpins
Old buttons

To start, cut out a flat piece of sturdy cardboard (I used an old moving box). 


Next, wrap tightly with a paper bag. (The glue sticks better to the paper than directly on the cardboard). Tape bag securely around cardboard. Forget to take a picture of this step. (Oops...)

Next. gather your corks. Line them up along the cardboard so that they fit roughly the same length (if you have all different size corks like I did... it won't be exact but that's fine). Using your hot glue gun, glue the corks together on the ends in lines. (As pictured)




When you have enough rows of corks to cover the cardboard, glue them one by one to the paper-covered cardboard.



When this is dry, turn it over and add a ribbon to the back. Allow to dry. Turn it around. Voila, a pretty cork board you can hang on your wall. Or give to a friend. 



Now on to the pushpins... Gather your beautiful, miscellaneous collection of buttons (mine are either "extras" from bought clothes or finds at thrift stores. 


Place glue on the back of the buttons. Turn your push pins over and press down into the glue. Allow to dry. Voila, "upsycled" pushpins.

Happy Holiday Crafting!  <3

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Marissa! And thanks for stopping in. Hope you are having a good week.

      Delete

Comments make me oh so happy! Feel free to comment away. I'd love to hear what's on your mind