How to Make Washing Soda


Several months ago I was desperately searching for a source of washing soda to attempt a recipe for homemade laundry detergent. To no avail. Grocery stores, craft stores, bulk retailers, none of them had washing soda. Most of the people I talked to didn't even know what I was referring to. (Frankly, I didn't either...) So, in a desperate attempt I went online and did some research. Low and behold, washing soda is incredibly easy to make. 

I found this recipe for making my own. All you need is baking soda and an oven. It's that simple because,

Baked Baking Soda=Washing Soda 


The difference, chemically speaking, between baking soda (NaHCO3) and washing soda (Na2CO3) is water and carbon dioxide. When you heat baking soda at a high temperature the water and carbon dioxide evaporate.

How To Make Washing Soda


Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Sprinkle a layer of baking soda on a baking sheet. Place in the oven. Stir occasionally for about an hour (or longer if need be). Remove from the oven and let cool. You can tell it is done based on texture. Baking soda is wet and clumps. Washing soda is dry, grainy and flakes  (In the picture, the baking soda is on the left and the washing soda is on the right). See the difference?


Now, if  you ever come across recipes for  homemade detergent that calls for washing soda, you don't need to drive anywhere to get it!

What do you I use it for?


30 comments:

  1. What do you wash with it? Laundry? Dishes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This: http://littleowlcrunchymomma.blogspot.com/2013/01/easy-homemade-laundry-detergent.html

      Delete
    2. you can find both in the big box in Walmarts' laundry section.

      Delete
    3. All of my walmarts have been sold out so I couldn't find it anywhere. Thanks for this post!

      Delete
  2. Ummm....just cliked through the link and got my answer. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you are the bomb! I am so glad you posted this because I cannot find washing soda locally either. This post and your laundry detergent post just made my day... (is that weird)??? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Love it. Glad to have made your day, Linda! :)

      Delete
    2. Swimming pool "shock treatment " or making your pool more alkaline is alaso the same as washing soda , but is quite expensive!!

      Delete
  4. I'm baking my baking soda right now! Really looking forward to trying your laundry soap recipe. Our washing machine's agitator broke, so I've been washing our diapers by hand in the washer and the laundry soap I had been using, while a great product, is drying my hands out horribly! Yet I'm putting this into diapers that touch my baby?! I'm almost out now, so tomorrow will be day #1 of using this detergent on my GMD prefolds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Krista! How'd it turn out? Did it work for you? Would love to hear your thoughts! <3

      Delete
  5. Couldn't find washing soda anywhere so I avoided making my own laundry soap. Now I can! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Arm and Hammer Washing can be found in almost any Walmart. It is in the laundry detergent aisle (usually by the borax) and costs about $3.24 for a 55 oz box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately they don't sell it at the Walmart here. (the borax, yes) I've looked everywhere as well with no luck so I'm very happy to find this!:)

      Delete
  7. I love learning things like this. It makes me crazy when the stores are out of basics, or worse, don't even carry them. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great! I usually order it online from amazon.com, but now I dont have to wait for shipping!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! Im in this search right now but already buy baking soda in bulk! Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been looking into different recipes for homemade soap and some call for just baking soda. If we heat up the baking soda to get rid of the water... Only to add water in the recipe does that defeat the purpose? I'm not a scientist so I'm clueless! Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a scientist either but I would say it actually does make it different. The baking soda and washing soda together create a reaction that is different than when I just mix baking soda with water... so from my "unscientific" lay observation... I would say there is something different going on. :) Let me know if you read anything that says otherwise!

      Delete
  11. I hate to say it but, Walmarts Carry Washing Soda ! in the Laundry isle and you can order it online and they will deliver it to your Walmart so you dont have to pay for shipping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not to support mass corporations like Walmart. Sometimes it's unavoidable, but if I can get something somewhere else I will. :) Personal preference.

      Delete
  12. Hi there. I have an out of the ordinary question.... I was baking a homemade chocolate cake one day and I realized I had no baking soda. I sent the hubby out and he came home with the Arm and Hammer Fridge n Freezer baking soda. It says on the box that it is 100% pure baking soda but they don't recommend baking with it as it has a more coarse texture. Could I put that bad boy to use and make washing soda out of it? Thanks for your opinion and your AWESOME laundry soap recipe :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Hmmm... not sure. I would think so, but don't quote me on it! I am not, after all, a scientist, just a mom trying to save money and make my own shtuff. :) Let me know how it goes! <3

      Delete

Comments make me oh so happy! Feel free to comment away. I'd love to hear what's on your mind