Easy Baked Kale Chips



The story of how these came about is actually proof of how much you shouldn't go shopping when you are hungry. (Or is it proof that you should...?)

Over the summer Brian worked for an organic gardener and brought home bags and bags of kale. In order to ensure that it would not go bad we blanched and froze it. We now have several gallon-sized bags of kale in the freezer that I have been slowly going through--adding to soups, pasta, pizza, etc. So WHY did I buy kale when I went to the store the other day? Exactly....

I wasn't thinking. I was really hungry and just shopping on impulse. I saw the kale and thought "Haven't bought that in a while"... without stopping to think why. I brought the bunch of kale home and realized my ridiculous mistake as I was falling asleep at night. ("Duh! That's why I haven't bought kale in a while..." *smacks head*). So in order to justify my expense I decided I needed to make something with this bunch of kale that you can't use blanched and frozen kale for...

That is how his recipe came about. And they are absolutely delicious. Well worth the "oops" that caused them.

Baked Kale Chips


You Will Need:

1 bunch fresh kale
1 Tbs melted coconut oil (Where to buy- by far my FAVORITE coconut oil.)
Celtic sea salt to taste (Where to buy.)

Bake at 300 for 20-30 minutes until crispy. 


To start, preheat your oven to 300 degrees. Next, wash and dry your kale in a colander. 



"De-vein" your kale. 


Set aside the stalk for later use. Be creative. You can add it to soup, stir fry, or casserole. I added mine to my last batch of sauerkraut



Cut the leafy part of the kale into two inch "chunks". Toss with melted coconut oil and sea salt. Layer onto baking sheets.


Bake for approximately 20-30 minutes. Check it after twenty minutes to see where it is at. A word of caution: these go from crispy to burnt pretty quickly. 


That's it! And they are delicious. Crunchy, salty, yumm! Enjoy!

Shared with Simple Lives Thursday, Keep It Real, Your Green Resource, Blog Stalking

What's your favorite way to eat kale?

6 comments:

  1. They're still edible when burnt, but not nearly as enjoyable. Also, somewhere recently I found a chipotle bacon kale chip recipe, using freshly cooked bacon and the bacon grease instead of oil. Probably decidedly less healthy, but STILL KALE. Got my non-kale eaters to consume it a little more easily, so I'll likely do it again in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know they are still edible when burnt because I am sure that I will manage to do that again! :)

      I do love bacon. Do you have a link to your recipe? I'd love to see it.

      I am actually not convinced bacon in and of itself is bad for me... but we can talk more about that later!

      Delete
  2. I like tossing mine with a little lemon juice and olive oil, then sprinkling with salt, garlic powder and dill weed before baking. It gives them a different "kick" of flavor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good this way thanx I'm going to try it .

      Delete
  3. I like these drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with basil and garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just love your blog so much!!! and kale chips?! been wanting to make these – thanks for the recipe! -

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me oh so happy! Feel free to comment away. I'd love to hear what's on your mind