How to Cook Oatmeal the Right Way

After I gave you my recipe for Oatmeal Pancakes a couple people asked me how I prepare my oatmeal to begin with. Sorry, should have thought about that first. Before you have leftovers from making oatmeal you need to have... oatmeal. 

This is how I prepare my oatmeal. This recipe is super simple, nutritious and delicious. It is borrowed from Nourishing Traditions.

Basic Oatmeal

You Will Need:

1 cup organic oats
2 tbs acidic agent (e.g., yogurt, whey, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, kombucha, etc)
2 cups filtered water (separated)

Place oatmeal in a small bowl. Mix in 1 cup warm filtered water and 2 tbs acidic agent (I typically use yogurt). Leave in a warm place overnight. 

The following morning, bring one cup water to a boil in small pan. Add in your pre-soaked oats. Cook over medium to low heat until all the water is absorbed (or to your preferred texture). Stir constantly to prevent burning. 



  1. I heard a tip that if you have trouble with the "tart" taste in your oatmeal... start with just a teaspoon of acidic agent and work up to more. This worked for us. :)

  2. Hello. My research indicated that there is not enough phytase to break down the phytic acid in the oatmeal. To overcome this, 1 Tbsp of buckwheat flour could be added (this is already a scaled back amount since they used 2 Tbsp buckwheat flour to 2 cups of oats). Also, my research indicated that a dairy acidic medium inhibits the phytic acid breakdown so I've used fresh lemon juice or ACV. I just wanted to share this information. I came across it from Ann Marie and Sally Fallon, .... so much info out there on the web!


Comments make me oh so happy! Feel free to comment away. I'd love to hear what's on your mind